Website Emerge Law
Emerge LLP, a new kind of law firm, is seeking entrepreneurial lawyers to join our awesome team to provide support with respect to a wide range of corporate and commercial matters. We understand that traditional law firms aren’t the best fit for startups and small businesses, and frankly the new generation of lawyers with more than one aspiration. We’ve been there. We decided to re-imagine legal services and built a law firm for entrepreneurs – both for our clients and team members.
We’re looking for a curious and entrepreneurial startup lawyers. The lawyers on our team must be able to apply their knowledge and experience to novel scenarios and provide the best possible advice on sometimes unprecedented legal issues in the startup community.
This role includes drafting contracts and legal opinions, as well as acting as general corporate counsel. We will also work together to determine the number of hours you would like to work on average and create a plan specific to you and your work-life.
Responsibilities in this role will include:
- Advising on, drafting, and reviewing commercial contracts on a range of matters including standard terms and conditions, routine supply and distribution agreements, service agreements.
- Providing legal advice to lawyers, clerks and clients on a wide range of corporate and commercial matters.
- Assisting with development and maintaining corporate and commercial precedents and other tools used in legal practice.
- Preparing, writing, and editing a range of client facing blog posts and articles.
- Developing corporate and commercial legal education materials for internal and external purposes.
The successful candidate will have:
- Growth mindset: You’re agile, resourceful, and willing to continuously challenge yourself to learn and grow. Curiosity for digging into how technical systems, services and infrastructure work to answer targeted questions on legal problems;
- Ability to recognize and understand multiple perspectives in a situation without getting blocked by analysis paralysis;
- Experience drafting and negotiating complex legal agreements, such as strategic partnerships, goods and services, software and other licensing arrangements, including those related to SaaS and other cloud-based services, API, SDK and other technology-related offerings
- Experience providing legal counsel on new product developments, including drafting terms of service and associated policies;
- Strong technical legal, analytical and drafting skills combined with the ability to use logic to solve complex problems, excellent organizational skills and rigorous attention to detail;
The candidate will have the flexibility to work remotely within Canada. The candidate must be in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario.
Here’s how to apply:
Interested candidates are asked to submit the following materials and email firstname.lastname@example.org. Address it to Hiring Manager:
- Short description of what you think makes a great startup lawyer;
- resume; and
- copies of official academic transcripts.
At Emerge LLP, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our people feel included and valued. We strongly encourage applications from racialized communities, Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities to come to join our awesome team!
We are also committed to accommodating people with disabilities as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise us during the recruitment process.
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com